Posted to alt.home.repair
Moe DeLoughan Moe DeLoughan is offline

Default after installing toilet found too close to wall,H20 tank wontfit right, need 2in+

On 4/14/2015 4:35 PM, wrote:
On Tue, 14 Apr 2015 08:45:51 -0400, Art Todesco
wrote:

There are offset flanges available. They are usually 2" and, I think,
were designed to adapt 14" (wall to waste pipe) toilets to 12" and vice
versa. I used one in a very small powder room where the toilet was
deliberately put in a place so that the door would clear when opening
inward. I changed the door to a pocket door and re-did the cabinets.

You mean they didn't just cut a hunk off the bottom of the door so it
would clear the toilet?

Yes, in my years of working as a plumber, I saw this several times!

Years ago, a coworker of mine hired a handyman to replace her toilet.
The handyman failed to check out the existing toilet/bathroom first.
He replaced a round bowl commode with an elongated model. Problem was
just as you've described - it was next to the door, so now the door
hit the rim of the new toilet. The handyman's solution: he cut a slot
in the door at the level of the bowl.

And that, folks, is an example of how hiring a handyman can be a
buyer-beware experience.