Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Todesco Art Todesco is offline

Default after installing toilet found too close to wall,H20 tank wontfit right, need 2in+

On 4/14/2015 6:26 AM, John G wrote:

After installing toilet started to finish with installing h20 tank. Water
tank tilts forward. Need to move toilet at least 2 in more away from
wall for tank to fit. Need to insert something into existing system with
an attached flange so I can attach toilet to new flange and secure
properly and have additional space for the water tank to fit.. This is a
existing concrete floor with an existing workable flange. Just need the
extra space. How do I get extra space or What should I use to create this
extra needed space so I can attach water tank to toilet and finish my
project.

2" is quite a move. There is such a thing as an offset flange for predicaments such as yours. Go to a plumbing supply company and ask about solutions to your problem.

There are offset flanges available. They are usually 2" and, I think,
were designed to adapt 14" (wall to waste pipe) toilets to 12" and vice
versa. I used one in a very small powder room where the toilet was
deliberately put in a place so that the door would clear when opening
inward. I changed the door to a pocket door and re-did the cabinets.
In order to "fit" the cabinets, I needed to move the toilet 2" to the
right, basically away towards the door. Unfortunately, the floor was
concrete. I figured it wouldn't be too bad to chisel way a few inches,
however, I eventually had to rent an electric power jack hammer. It
took only about 5 minutes and the job was done. Next the cast iron pipe
needed to be cut about 2" inches shorter (below the floor surface) to
make room for the flange. I used a router with a 2 or 3 inch cutting
wheel on an extension. Because this kludge wasn't rated to be run at
router speed, I used a variac to slow it down. Again it didn't take too
long and it was done. The new flange was inserted with a rubber seal
ring and the floor was patched with concrete. Way too much work, but I
was younger at the time and the whole remodel looked fabulous.