Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Concrete steps repair/replace

On Sunday, April 12, 2015 at 3:39:30 PM UTC-4, Oren wrote:
On Sun, 12 Apr 2015 15:24:51 -0400, "TomR" wrote:

In ,
Oren typed:
On Sun, 12 Apr 2015 14:45:36 -0400, "TomR" wrote:

Well, to help answer my own post, I just did some YouTube and Google
searches, and it looks to me like repairing these types of damaged
steps is a fairly common option.

Here are a few of the videos that I found as examples:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Llxg17jOLIU

http://www.quikrete.com/athome/Video...rete-Edges.asp

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9rlVI88l2k

...git 'er done

Yep, that would be my plan, and that's what I will suggest to my friend.

That last video is by a mason who works in the same State where my friend's
property is located, but he is not close enough for my friend to use him for
the work. But, it is clear that doing a repair job for this type of step
damage does work. This guy doesn't use any special additives, cleaners,
bonding agents, or anchoring screws etc. The product that he uses is called
Cement All Rapid Set cement:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rapid-Set...0055/202188447

Each video had an intersecting approach. One used Tap-Cons like a
sort of "rebar" for big damage. The fast cure stuff makes sense -
finish in a day. Your friend has five (5) steps to fix - adapt and
overcome

The interesting thing with those screws was how easy the one he
was driving went in.... I think the screw idea sounds interesting,
but if they go in as easy as that one did, it would seem to me the
remaining concrete is in pretty bad shape. In that case, they
probably aren't doing much. If they go in like they would
in good concrete, then I think they could be a plus. But even then,
if they are worth it, IDK, but I guess on a step repair anything that
can make it more sound is good. Like Ed said, the thing you don't
want to happen is for it to fail later with no notice with someone on it.