Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang Tony Hwang is offline

Default OT - credit card upgrade question

wrote:
On Sat, 11 Apr 2015 20:25:36 -0600, Tony Hwang
wrote:

G. Morgan wrote:
Arthur Conan Doyle wrote:

If the card doesn't have a PIN (ie Signature only), or the card is programmed to
check the PIN validity with the issuer (ie online PIN only) and the terminal is
an offline device (ie some gas pumps or kiosks), the transaction is declined.

I destroy the pins they send, they are only good for cash advances
(now).

PIN goes with chip. rarely chip is damaged and unable to read, then
POS handheld unit requests to swipe the card, print out hard copy for
signature and receipt for card holder. I never saw a card without chip
has PIN. What is such a big deal? Canada as well as whole world has been
using chip and PIN for many years already. Maybe because smart
card(chip) is an European invention. In some things, U.S. is far
behind...???

Not so much that it is european - it's just "not made here" If a Yank
didn't invent it, they don't want it.
Add to that, anything "mandated" or that could possibly collect any
data on the user is immediately suspect.

Really it was French invention, by Bull. No matter what we do, crooks
are always one step ahead, LOL!