Posted to alt.home.repair
G. Morgan[_9_] G. Morgan[_9_] is offline

Default OT - credit card upgrade question

Tony Hwang wrote:

PIN goes with chip. rarely chip is damaged and unable to read, then
POS handheld unit requests to swipe the card, print out hard copy for
signature and receipt for card holder. I never saw a card without chip
has PIN. What is such a big deal? Canada as well as whole world has been
using chip and PIN for many years already. Maybe because smart
card(chip) is an European invention. In some things, U.S. is far
behind...???

There are only two other countries besides the US that don't use the
metric system. We are also behind in high-speed broadband. In S. Korea
500Mib/s is common. I pay $56 (with tax included) for 75Mib/s (and I
have yet to see it, speed tests usually come in about 50Mib/s). I don't
see credit card chip & pin as being "behind" though. I've never had a
problem disputing a charge. I don't want to remember a bunch of PINs. I
have enough to remember! Besides, sometimes I lend my bank card to
someone - I tell them to choose 'credit' rather than 'debit' so I don't
have to give away the PIN.