Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Most durable wood floor paint?

On Sat, 11 Apr 2015 11:47:08 -0400, "TomR" wrote:

In ,
typed:

We manage a local community beach house: many people with wet feet
and lots of sand walking in/out, and tables & chairs being moved
around alot too. The floor is painted wide-plank wood flooring and
we cannot change that (budget, aesthetics, etc). Typically we
repaint the floors every 5+/- years and this last time should have
been sooner because the paint job peeled up very fast. In the past,
we've rented a floor buffer machine and used grit pads to roughen the
surface before painting.

Can you recommend a VERY durable (commercial?) wood-floor paint?

I have the same question, and it is a question that has recently come up in
another forum for rental property owners. The general consensus seems to be
that most "porch and floor paint" products by various manufacturers just do
not hold up well when painting wood porches, floors, stairs, etc.

I just did a quick Google search and here's one link that came up:
http://www.bobvila.com/articles/how-.../#.VSk-B9zF_E0

It is not much of an article, but here are a few things that it mentioned:

1) Roughing up the surface before repainting (of course).
2) Using a shellac-based primer for areas that are very worn and that need
priming.
3) Consider using an alkyd or oil-based paint instead of latex enamel for
possible better wear (they downplayed that idea, but am interested in that
option since latex based enamel doesn't seem to do very well in my opinion).

I would be interested in knowing what others think about that last option --
using alkyd or oil-based paint instead of latex enamel porch and floor
paint.

How about something like Deckover or Deckote? Deckover is a Behr
(Home Despot) product, Deckover is from Consolidated Coatings.

Or even try a roll-on "bed liner" product. Likely available for about
half the price of the deck products.

The big thing is the floor needs to be 100% clean and dry for ANY
coating to stick reliably.