Sam Goldwasser

Default Triac protection

"jakdedert" writes:

I've got the same problem with a cheap little 'touch lamp' dimmer. I've
replaced it twice now...almost cheaper to buy an entire new lamp.

Nah, just pick up 1000 triacs on eBay and install a rugged socket.

It may be hard to guarantee reliable protection since it's quite possible
for the lamp to become a momentary short circuit when it blows out. You
could always install some sort of active current limiting but that would
use some power. A fast acting fuse might work at least some of the time
but would cost as much as a triac.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Home Page: http://www.repairfaq.org/
| Mirror Site Info: http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/F_mirror.html

Important: The email address in this message header may no longer work. To
contact me, please use the Feedback Form at repairfaq.org. Thanks.