Posted to alt.home.repair
J Burns J Burns is offline

Default in praise of pump-up sprayers

On 4/10/15, 6:16 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 4/10/2015 1:33 PM, J Burns wrote:

Twenty bucks, not bad if it works for a couple years.

http://www.amazon.com/Chapin-20000-1.../dp/B000E28UQU

Thank you.

I see D.B. Smith's competition 1-gallon chemical-proof sprayer for $15
at the bottom of the page. I don't know if they have flaws.

Years ago I bought a Smith's 1-quart pump-up sprayer from American
Science and Surplus. It was new, and the pickup tube didn't work right.
I replaced it with a piece of sheathing from indoor telephone cable. I
also had to make a gasket. Before long, I had to replace the o-ring in
the pump. The new o-ring soon swelled and jammed because I'd lubed it
with Vaseline. I switched to plumber's grease, and it has worked fine
for years. I keep insecticide in it. I don't keep it pressurized because
the fluid would seep into the pump and end up in my face when I pulled
the plunger. I guess Smith engineers didn't work out the bugs in that
model, but it has become reliable. If I find a fireant nest, I'll squirt
an ounce on the mound. In a week there will be no sign of life.

I've used Chapins a lot since the 80s and found them durable. They seem
to have a very big line of pump-up sprayers and offer a lot of info on
the web. If I were going to buy another, I'd study the product
information on their site.
https://www.chapinmfg.com/sprayers/

I saved my house from termites by using my old sprayer to apply TimBor,
with the consistency of latex paint. Maybe I could use a pump-up sprayer
to slap paint on an exterior wall. I'd probably have to go over it with
a brush, but think of the labor it would save!

Then I could invite kids over to paint the ceilings with pump-up sprayers!

Knew a guy who worked for Burger King. Blue stuff for
windows, green stuff for bathrooms, pink stuff for
tables. Or some such logic.

Air conditioner coil cleaner comes in pink, green, and
purple choices.

-
.
Christopher A. Young