Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

Default 200A Electrical Panel with 150A Main Breaker and 150A Feed. Isit Legal?

On 4/10/2015 12:09 PM, wrote:

snip

My original concern was 400a switch gear with 250 KCMIL copper wire
and 250a fuses installed.
Everyone I asked, up the chain, said it was legal, hence my proposal
to change the code..

Well apparently my neighbor's installation was never inspected. Two
different electricians spotted issues with it instantly, but not related
to the 150 amp main breaker on a 200 amp p0anel. It was the improper
connection to the incoming power line and improper grounding. This was
done by the contractor installing his solar system from Solar City.

I actually did find a 150 amp version of the 200 amp panel they were
looking at so hopefully they'll order one of those, SC816D150C rather
than the SC816D200C. They would prefer one with the meter on the top but
apparently those don't exist anymore for that width in semi-flush.

But it appears that there is no good reason not to use the 200 amp panel
with a 150 amp main breaker.