Posted to alt.home.repair
TomR[_3_] TomR[_3_] is offline

Default Shellac primer sealer

In ,
Abby typed:
On Friday, April 10, 2015 at 11:06:14 AM UTC-2:30, TomR wrote:
In ,

On Thursday, April 9, 2015 at 5:46:12 PM UTC-2:30, TomR wrote:

I want to paint a door trim that has a few coats of oil based
clear polyurethane. It is pine and therefore lots of knots.

If it already has 2 coats of oil based polyurethane, I can't
imagine that the knots would bleed through. And, I wouldn't think
that you would need any type of additional sealer or stain killer,
and you should be able to just paint the trim with any paint with
no problem.

On a similar
project I applied 2 coats of Bin Shellac Primer Sealer and then
applied 2 coats of latex white paint.... however, the knots still
bled after a few months.

When you say "on a similar project" do you mean that the original
wood already had 2 coats of oil based polyurethane, and then you
applied 2 coats of BIN shellac primer sealer, and then 2 coats of
latex white paint (4 coats altogether), and the knots still bled
through? If so, I just can't imagine how that could be possible.

From what I've read, Bin it is the "best"
primer for knots. Should I apply an oil based primer before Bin?
Anyone with suggestions?

Yes, they still bled after a couple of months.

I can't imagine how they still bled through unless maybe the
polyurethane was water-based and not oil-based polyurethane. But,
you said it was oil-based polyurethane (2 coats), plus two coats of
shellac (Zinsser BIN shellac-based primer sealer), plus 2 coats of
latex paint on top of that.

I believe you, of course, since you are there and I am not, but I
just can't imagine how the bleed-through could be possible under
those circumstances.

TomR,
Because the poly is old, I assumed it was oil based but I could be
wrong. Nevertheless, wouldn't you think 2 coats of Bin & 2 of white
latex would do the job?

Yes, I would also assume that even just 2 coats of Shellac-based BIN would
have done the job. But, maybe that's not the case sometimes.

And, I would have thought that even just two coats of oil-based poly alone
would have done the job. But, as you said, maybe it was water-based poly
rather than oil-based poly.

It is all still a mystery to me (and you).