Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Green Robert Green is offline

Default What would this JACK be called?

"micky" wrote in message
On Wed, 08 Apr 2015 17:02:09 -0500, wrote:

While watching one of those old "Emergency" tv episodes,

Pretty amazing to see how the "bread truck" ambulances and "tool truck"
emergency vehicles have morphed from what they were back then.

They call it the "jaws of life" I always think that' name is overdoing
it.

That's what the firemen and the EMS folks call them and you would, too, if
they managed to rip you out of a smashed car with gasoline spilled all
around you ready to ignite. And I imagine they do that a dozen times or
more each day with the accident rate what it is. They take a special skill
to use because under dire circumstances speed is of the essence. But
placing them incorrectly can result in the patient being injured even more
when the metal finally "gives" and tears apart. It would be great if
someday you could just ask Google:

How many people owe their lives to the 'jaws of life'?

I'll bet it's enough to populate a small city, especially since modern cars
are designed to give up energy in a collision by crushing.

http://www.google.com/search?q=How+m...+of+life%27%3F

Google's still got a ways to go . . . All that turned up the was remotely
relevant was:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/75797806@N00/209634792/

Pretty interesting stuff.

Quick and powerful.. Capable of excerting 53,000 psi at the tips at 24
inches spread..
Barring unusual circumstances... A crew should be able to force all the
doors, remove the roof, force the seats back, and lift the dash....in five
to ten minutes.

--
Bobby G.