Posted to alt.home.repair
Peter[_14_] Peter[_14_] is offline

Default OT - credit card upgrade question

On 4/9/2015 10:18 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 9 Apr 2015 21:47:12 -0400, "Mayayana"
wrote:

ALL chip cards have a PIN number - but foolishly some US banks (US
Bank being one) are not implementing the PIN security on their cards
and banking system. If you ask your bank to have the PIN enabled,
your american bank cards will work world-wide in chip and pin
terminals, and will still work, without the PIN, in USA

I've used my U.S. bank issued EMV (so called "pin and chip") credit
cards throughout Europe for more than 2 years. A PIN number was issued
automatically with the cards (to make them compatible with use in ATM
machines) but I've never been asked for my PIN by a restaurant or shop
keeper. I've always been asked for my signature. For smaller
transactions, such as purchasing fares in the London underground, or the
Paris metro, the card was accepted by the vending machine without either
a PIN request or a signature request. In fact, I purchased train
tickets costing more than 100 pounds sterling from vending machines in
the U.K. without needing pin or signature.

The only time I was every asked for my PIN at a restaurant was prior to
having a chip enabled credit card, when after swiping the card, the
waiter wanted me to enter the PIN. I declined because my bank told me
that if I used my PIN with a point of sale transaction, it would be
treated as a loan (as if it were an ATM transaction) and subject to
daily interest charges until the balance was paid.