Posted to alt.home.repair
bob haller bob haller is offline

Default OT - credit card upgrade question

On Thursday, April 9, 2015 at 9:44:07 PM UTC-4, Mayayana wrote:
| I wouldn't. Come this October, retailers will be responsible for any
fradulent
| transactions caused by use of the mag stripe on an EMV ("chip") card.
Because
| the retailers will not take on that risk, they will honer the flag encoded
on
| the mag stripe that indicates the card is an EMV card, which means you
won't be
| able to use it.

That's possible. They are trying to switch over.
If it happens I'll worry about it then. In the
meantime, I have 4 cards and only one is (was)
chipped. And not all of them are due to expire
before October.

It's also not clear to me exactly how that works.
The October rule may make a merchant responsible
if they don't have a chip reader. That's not the
same thing as having a chip reader but the card
having a dead chip.

The chip cards in Europe are at least backed up
by also requiring a PIN number. That's apparently
not going to happen in the US. If I eventually have
to accept the chip I'll keep the cards in a fold
of aluminum flashing, which I already have in
my wallet. I'm trying to phase out use of credit
cards, anyway. But I'm also concerned not only
with potential security problems but with the
increasing use of tracking. Over time, chip cards
could end up being used like cookies online, cellphones,
or EasyPass on highways -- as a way to track people.

L?0.ultimately the card issuers are on the hook for fradulent charges, so accept whatever they provide and smile its their problem