Posted to alt.internet.wireless,sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang Tony Hwang is offline

Default How are we supposed to read 5GHz WiFi signal strength bands?

Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Tue, 25 Aug 2015 22:06:49 +0000 (UTC), ceg
wrote:

On Sun, 23 Aug 2015 13:09:55 +0100, N_Cook wrote:

http://i.imgur.com/JS4BDiy.jpg
It got misdirected from a disco gobo.

BTW, why do so many people use HOME as the prefix to their
SSID's?

They don't. The HOME-XXXX format, where XXXX might be the last 4
digits of the MAC address, is the default SSID for Comcast "gateway"
style wireless routers. I'm not sure when this started, but my
guess(tm) is about 2 years ago.

Anything is better than linksys, dlink, default, hpsetup, and default.
https://wigle.net/stats#mainstats
3.74% of about 210 million wireless networks use the default SSID. I
guess this is proof that most computer users have no imagination.

Fancy SSID has no impact on security.