Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Gently winding up Variacs

"** The parallel 0.47ohm resistors are there for the VI limiter circuit ( not drawn) saving the V-FETs from destruction if driven into a low impedance or short. "

I saw the real schematic, I have it. Yes it is a doosey (sp) Runs you all over the place but oh well, I still got the jist of it. The VI limiter circuit as you call it, which I would simply call a current limiter (with an enhancement to allow said current at higher output voltages)should be able to handle this. Usually it is basically called a dual slope detector, but what Sony likes to do apparently is to get ten nerd who actually did solve not only that rsistor cube, but that other thing going around on the net.

Why do you want to get every last iota of power or whatever of whatever you use ? Well basically because you got shareholders. Every old thing we own is their mistake.

I used to be almost Mr Sony but did not want their speakers and most of their amps I could afford. I worked for a Sony Signature dealer and ASC, I also worked for another Sony ASC a bit later. Well actually at the same time which they didn't want me to do but so what.

but I was always with it for their video equipment, but I did not like the Access systems, I thought they were junk. And then it seems they got skitzoid, like almost being two companies. Alot of them got like that, they got the cheap line and they got the good line. Let's run that credit card and see what you want. I **** you not.

Where were we. (damn that was easy to type)

Anyway, thusfar we have been dealing with a certain paradigm. Now here is something, and it is not even solid state. Tube/valve circuits that use those regulator tubes. the gas fired ones like 0A2 or some ****, I don't remember. It is lucky there are not alot of these around I think, with all the variacs and DBTs out there, I really think that some of those circuits might be damaged bringing up the voltage slowly.

This would happen if say the main rectifier tube took a certain time to warm up and did not give the 0A2 enough voltage fast enough to catch the regulator tube and blew an electrolytic somewhere. Or possibly cause an arc in a totally innocent ECC83 somewhere.