Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Technics SA-R210 Receiver

On Tuesday, August 25, 2015 at 8:57:44 AM UTC-5, wrote:
I brought the Technics SA-R210 receiver from US to Taiwan. How can I change the FREQUENCY STEP from FM/AM 200Khz/10Khz to 50Khz/9Khz to cure the problem of "No FM stereo" and "No AM"?
Thanks
Frank Yu

You need skill. Here are the documents you need, if you have the skill to make the mods you have the skill to read the docs :

http://elektrotanya.com/technics_sa-.../download.html

Once there scroll down through the preview to some text, in that text you will find the word "processing". Watch that and when it changes to "Get manual in a minute or so, click it and download it like anytihng else. They just make you wait to be, well, you know.

That does not tellya, but it does tellme that it uses a certain chip for this, and the datasheeet will tell you :

http://pdf.datasheetarchive.com/data...DSA-434031.pdf

(they just lopped off a couple letter ans inserted "SVI" like they usually do)

If they don't allow a direct link it cam from here :

http://www.datasheetarchive.com/UPD1703-datasheet.html

there is like a spreadsheet of listings after the ads at the top, on the left there is a screenshot ot what looks like a datasheet front page. Under that are words. the last one is Download, that is the actual link.

I see there are pins going to the keybord that will nee to be set high or low logic levels. Good stuff gives you a switch, in this you might have to cut foil, and you will certainly have to install a jumper somewhere. No really, sometimes, rarely it is justy a matter of cutting something.

Same **** happens with shortwave radios sometimes. There are bands that are discouraged from being receivable in the US because SW braodcasts are supposed to ge intended for foreigh audiences. I remember the ****ed with American Dissident Voices of that. but the fat is the bands ADV broadcast on are not generally available on the regular SW receivers sold here. Apparently the FCC did not want us to hear what this country was putting out to the world. Go figure. This all goes back to why DVDs have REGIONS. We should be shooting them over that ****.

Anyway, the FM in the US has a high modulation, I believe it is +/- 75 KHz instead of +/- 50 KHz. It has to be a wider bandwitch for the same performance. We need like 200 KHz bandwidth for good performance, like down to like 0.4 % in stereo at full limiting. That is spretty good figure and you ain't going to get that here, you are not going to get rated performance with those IF filters, and the level WILL be too high because the detector is calibrated differently. Careful listening miugh reveal distortion due to that. there are two options if you want to be an audiophile about it but let's get htis done first ansd see how it sounds. It HAS enough bandwidth, and if you listen mostly to classical or jazz n ****, it might be just fine, and wirth a bit lower noise level. But at 100 % modulation, the thing is not going to meet its rated specs in THD.

Actually, I can fix that, but is it worth it ?