Posted to misc.phone.mobile.iphone,sci.electronics.repair,comp.mobile.ipad
ceg[_2_] ceg[_2_] is offline

Default How are we supposed to read 5GHz WiFi signal strength bands?

On Sun, 23 Aug 2015 20:59:34 -0700, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

On Sun, 23 Aug 2015 16:35:09 -0700, Ant wrote:

Does that app exist for iOS? I didn't see it.

Nope. Apple has decided that you should not be allowed to install wi-fi
sniffer, monitor, and troubleshooting applications on Apple handsets.
Apple knows what is best for you. This is typical:
http://www.adriangranados.com/blog/where-did-wifi-analyzer-go
Limitations like this is why I gave up on IOS long ago.

Of course, that's why people jailbreak their iPhones. Try the Cydia
store on your jailbroken iThing:
https://cydia.saurik.com
Firing up my ancient iPhone 3G (jailbroken), I find - yFyLite Network
Finder and nothing else. There might be something newer. I just ran
Cydia to see if there's anything new, and it's furiously updating
packages and indexes. Yawn... Argh, this thing is slow. How could I
ever have used it? The Cydia listing shows a huge list of WiFi related
utilities. A few are similar to WiFi Analyzer. The others are
connection managers and password managers. Most are useless tweaks
changing the stock signal stength icon to something more interesting.
One I recall from long ago is WiFiFoFum with its goofy radar like
display.

Of course, if you have a laptop, Apple allows Wi-Fi monitoring for OS/X:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/wifi-explorer/id494803304?mt=12
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/wifi-signal/id525912054?mt=12
Any semblance to hypocrisy is hopefully coincidental.

Jeff is correct.
On iOS, you are screwed unless you jailbreak it to make it functional.
But OS/X should work, as would any other operating system not iOS.