Posted to alt.internet.wireless,sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair
ceg[_2_] ceg[_2_] is offline

Default How are we supposed to read 5GHz WiFi signal strength bands?

On Sun, 23 Aug 2015 10:34:24 -0700, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

If your smartphone
supports 5GHz wi-fi, Wi-Fi Analyzer will produce a square box, near the
upper left hand corner of the screen, just below the "W" in "WiFi
Analyzer" with either 2.4G or 5G inside the box. The problem is that
the box disappears. Tap that area and the box will magically appear.
Tap it again to toggle modes. Also, if you're looking at 5G and no
SSID's are showing, the program will magically switch back to 2.4G.

I only just now realized that what you are saying it totally correct!
I was wrong. I misinterpreted what I was seeing.
And that's why it confused me.

The mess you were looking at on the right is the signal strength versus
time graphs. Too bad the author of WiFi Analyzer didn't bother adding
page titles.

Now I see that, since I have far fewer access points at home.

You're not done yet. I've noticed that several "smart" devices, such as
cheapo cell phone and tabloids, that are allegedly dual band, turn off
the unused band when connected to an access point. The result is that
WiFi Analyzer pretends that there's no 5G in the device. Disconnecting
from your access point should solve that problem.

When I tap the top left, I do get a 5G and a 2G box, alternating with
each other. So, WiFi Analyzer does seem to see both.

Also, there's something wrong with your Comcast connection. Your
download speed is fine, but you should be getting about 12 Mbits/sec
upstream. At least that's what I've been seeing at various customers.
Winner of the highest residential speed award so far was about 160/30 in
Felton with a Comcast Cisco DPC3939:
http://mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/device.php?devid=357
There's suitable conspiracy here, but I promised not to tell.

That's interesting. It's the kid's Comcast setup. I'm at home now, so,
I can't test it. But they get about 90 down on 5GHz and about 5 or 6 up.

On 2.4GHz, they get only about 30 down and about 5 or 6 up.

The "service", as I recall, is nominally 45 down and 5 up.
So, should they really be getting double the upload speeds?

Should we complain to Comcast since it's at least 5Gbps?

Leak of the week (which means you didn't read this here): Comcast
Business class will also get a boost in speed on Thurs, Aug 27. Reboot
your modems in order to see the improvement. I pried this out of a
Comcast installer last week. If it doesn't happen on time, I'll claim
that this was a forgery and that I never said it.

I wonder what "Business Class" is. Are these kids in Business Class?
It's an apartment building with a lot of kids in it (all from the
school) but it's an off-campus building.