Posted to alt.internet.wireless,sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair
ceg[_2_] ceg[_2_] is offline

Default How are we supposed to read 5GHz WiFi signal strength bands?

On Sun, 23 Aug 2015 10:31:36 -0400, David L. Martel wrote:

Puzzling that your graph or chart on the right does not have a
labelled
"x" axis. What is it showing? If it is meant to be like the chart on the
left then that suggests that you do not have anything but noise at 5
gHz.
Looks like a lot of noise.

At home, I can see better what is going on.

The 5GHz graph from Wifi Analyzer freeware has signal strength on the
Y axis (-30dBm at the top line, then -40dBm, -50dBm, -60dBm, -70dBm,
-80dBm, and -90dBm on the first line above the x axis, where the
y intercept must be at -100dBm Signal Strength.

The X axis isn't labeled, but it must just be time since I can watch
the graphs grow from one side to the other in about two minutes time.