Malcolm

Default Triac protection

I have a dimmer switch controlling a house light. Sometimes when the light bulb
blows, the triac in the dimmer is taken out too and becomes a short circuit.
I've replaced the triac several times over the years, but I was wondering if it
would be possible to put a quench across the triac to stop it happening again.

It's a conventional enough circuit for a 240V mains - a 500K pot with 1M across
it feeding 2 stages of 5K6 / 47nF "filter" to produce the trigger for the diac
/ triac.Only other component is an inductor - about 40 turns on a short ferrite
rod.

Any suggestions for the quench components?
Fantrace.

Things can only get better.