Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Gently winding up Variacs

"So, when using a variac, a condition must exist where the needed reverse bias is missing but the V-FETs have enough DC supply available to fry themselves if held there"

I understand that, but there should be a way to design around it, prevent it from happening. **** poor IMO. Asking for trouble. How many times the power went out and came back dim, like half voltage. And varied. Would they cover that under warranty or would I have to sue the power company ?

They might be able to design a lower distortion circuit than I but they leave much to be desired in practicality, especially in a supposedly high end unit. If they are going to charge top buck for this **** they should have included a UPS. Or something.

I do not mind making money off of their follies, but that puts my name on it. What, I gotta install a light sensor to see if the customer's lights dim which voids the warranty on the work ? Ridiculous. Tell you what, they are scrap on sight as of now.

****, there are so many ways to prevent that failure mode it is ridiculous. One stupid power relay that removes the rail voltage form the outputs would do it, and then they wouldn't need one at the speaker output. Very low cost.

****ing assholes. I really used to like Sony stuff, but not so much their audio. I didn't like the sound of it. Now I am glad, I didn't buy that thing, I didn't buy the highly coveted STR-V6 I had on loan for like a couple of weeks. I did buy one of their cassette decks though and it was alright. And I do still have their (real) VCRs. And SLV-920HF I need to lube before firing up and an SL-HFR60 with the processor. I have a ****load of beta tapes.. I am looking for a good deal on a standalone DVD recorder so I have real backup and then I intend to rip to harddrive certain things., I will be a youtube star, Man those times were wild. Like when I almost got run over by a car taping an outdoor concert on someone's porch. Instructions on how to roll a joint. Damn, there is so much I forgot, but the deal is this is so old that I might only get one chance, so I am not sitting here playing it. In fact I owuld like to have a beta rewinder so I don't have to beat on the reel motor, they were a high failure item.

But after that, Sony and I are through. I will never buy a new product from them again and I have serious doubt about a used one. Yes, I bought that thousand bucks worth of VCRs brand new.

But now that we're on the subject, it might be a good idea to mention other things that do not take kindly to a variac or a DBT. They are out there. I can see that some of the class D amps would not like it. Things with SMPSes. What else ? I am sure there are more but I just don't know what.