Posted to sci.electronics.repair
N_Cook N_Cook is offline

Default Gently winding up Variacs

On 23/08/2015 18:41, Cursitor Doom wrote:
Hi all,

If a piece of faulty equipment hasn't been fired up for like many
*years*, what rate would it be advisable to slowly wind up the supply
voltage to it so as not to blow anything? I'd guess 24hrs for a 240VAC DUT
would do it but it's just a guess. I blew something in a scope up one day
after being too impatient; very annoying. Whichever component it was that
went phut filled the room with acrid smoke. I still have yet to track it
down.
And I'm also guessing one could get away with starting the process at
50VAC? What does the Panel think?

Tantalum caps failing, can go off with quite a bang, leaving an
"electrical" smell