Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
Ashton Crusher[_2_] Ashton Crusher[_2_] is offline

Default Left Foot Braking

On Sun, 23 Aug 2015 09:13:20 -0400, "(PeteCresswell)"
wrote:

Per Stormin Mormon:
Does braking with the left foot increase the
risk of accidents?

From what little I have read, there is disagreement on the answer.

The traditional answer is that left-foot braking is, somehow, less safe.

I can't remember the term-of-art for it, but there is a recognized cause
of accidents that consists of the driver stepping on the accelerator
when they were trying to step on the brake.

A driver that ALWAYS uses the right foot to Brake and Accelerate is
the one most likely to use that right foot on the wrong pedal. Someone
who is skilled at left foot braking is far less likely to try to push
the accelerator with the right foot with the intention of braking.
I'm sure there are always exceptions.

A few months ago there was an article in the New Yorker about vehicle
defect investigation and vehicle recalls from an engineering perspective
in which it was mentioned that some people think that left-foot braking
may actually be safer because it reduces the chances of a "wrong pedal"
error to nearly zero.