Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Trevor Wilson Trevor Wilson is offline

Default Gently winding up Variacs

On 24/08/2015 3:41 AM, Cursitor Doom wrote:
Hi all,

If a piece of faulty equipment hasn't been fired up for like many
*years*, what rate would it be advisable to slowly wind up the supply
voltage to it so as not to blow anything? I'd guess 24hrs for a 240VAC DUT
would do it but it's just a guess. I blew something in a scope up one day
after being too impatient; very annoying. Whichever component it was that
went phut filled the room with acrid smoke. I still have yet to track it
down.
And I'm also guessing one could get away with starting the process at
50VAC? What does the Panel think?

**One more trap for the uninitiated: NEVER crank up an audio amplifier
fitted with V-FET output devices on a variable auto-transformer.
Destruction will be assured under such a test.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

---