Posted to alt.windows7.general,alt.internet.wireless,sci.electronics.repair

Default My 5GHz Wi-Fi is broken (how to add an internal 5GHz 802.11 n/ac adapter)?

On Fri, 21 Aug 2015 16:52:49 +0000 (UTC), ceg
wrote:

My question is whether any of you experts has experience fitting an
*internal* 5GHz NIC into a Dell laptop, and whether it's true what
Dell said, which is that no internal Wi-Fi card will work?

Yep. I do it all the time. Oddly, most of the requirements are to
replace crappy internal cards with something better. I don't really
have a favorite replacement except that I now try to avoid Intel.

There are two problems you are going to have unless you buy an
approved Dell wireless card.
1. The FCC demands that the manufacturers only allow card and laptop
combinations that have been FCC certified. Plug in a non-approved
card and you are likely to get a BIOS boot message that proclaims that
you have installed an incompatible card. There are ways around this,
but I prefer to avoid the problem. If you do get the approved card,
it is likely that you'll also find drivers on the Dell web pile that
will work.
2. Many of the RF cables and connectors are cut for the exact length
needed to connect to the original card. I've had to wiggle them
around in order to accomodate cards with slightly different layout.
3. Non-MIMO cards have two RF connectors for diversity reception. 2x2
and up MIMO cards have at least 1 antenna per radio. The higher end
cards may have 3 antenna connectors. If you're going to use one of
these 3x3 cards, you'll need to add a 3rd antenna internally,
somewhere. I've had fairly good luck with just a connector and
stripping back a few cm of coax shield to form a crude antenna.

If I must add 5GHz Wi-Fi externally, do you have suggestions as to how
to get a good 5GHz (ac) Wi-Fi USB stick that is both convenient and
powerful at a good price?

"Good USB" is an oxymoron. Unless you need an external (directional)
antenna, I would avoid this option.

http://www.dell.com/us/dfh/p/inspiron-15-3521/pd
Hmmm... no wi-fi card listed in the specs. Yet, you seem to have one.

How to replace the wi-fi card:
https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Dell+Inspiron+15-3521+Wireless+Card+Replacement/31938

Video of how to replace the wi-fi card:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXXxFD07Yyc

Typical card vendor:
http://www.parts-people.com/index.php?action=category&id=141&subid=427&refine= wifi+card

OK, I'm out of time... send me the Dell service tag number on the
bottom of the laptop so I determine exactly what you have. More
later.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D