Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
The Real Bev[_2_] The Real Bev[_2_] is offline

Default The cellphone paradox - where are all the accidents?

On 08/19/2015 07:03 PM, Ashton Crusher wrote:
On Wed, 19 Aug 2015 08:18:45 -0400, "(PeteCresswell)"
wrote:

Per Ashton Crusher:
I have heard a local cop remark that he found driving a police cruiser
with all it's radios and other distractions to be something of a
frightening experience.

No doubt it is when you are new to the job.

Middle-aged cop... definitely not new on the job.

So he never really learned to handle it as second nature?

One thought that occurs to me in this discussion is that many people
simply refuse to believe a person can manage to use a phone and still
safely drive. Yet pilots do essentially that all the time. I used to
fly small planes and entering the pattern, flying it, and landing a
small plane at a big airport, esp with crosswinds, can be a bit of a
challenge to make sure you don't screw up something. The part that
comes into this discussion is that during that process you have to
ready the whole time to respond to air traffic control, both to
understand and follow their instructions and to talk to them on the
radio, you can't just ignore them cuz "I'm busy with the flaps". They
need to know you heard them so then can then talk to the guy following
you. Pilots do this all the time because they LEARN to do it. There
is no reason to treat drivers like children as if they can't be taught
to use cell phones safety but instead you have to ban their use.

I would guess that pilots have to be of above average intelligence in
order to get a pilot's license. It seems obvious by inspection that
half the drivers are subnormal and those are the ones who can't deal
with driving and phoning simultaneously.

It wasn't a pilot who ran the red light BEHIND me as I was LEGALLY
crossing in a crosswalk on the green light. If I'd been two seconds
slower I would have been roadkill. I couldn't actually see that the
driver was a woman babbling on her phone, but I'd be willing to be money
on it -- she clearly couldn't see that everybody else was stopped either.

My daughter can handle it and does all the time because she's a tour
director and is on the phone constantly solving problems; I rarely use
the phone and recognize that I'm unable to safely talk and drive at the
same time.

--
Cheers, Bev
Don't you just KNOW that there is more than one