Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dave Platt[_2_] Dave Platt[_2_] is offline

Default What is that whiteish stuff on bad batteries (ruins stuff)?

In article ,
Jeff Liebermann wrote:

Can't be, it's transparent. It's based on a semiconductive component, which is nonlinear:
insulating in bulk, but breaks down (in conductivity, not chemical nature) in
thin films under electrical stress. US Patent #4696832 has more info.

Never heard of that stuff, but if it's as you describe, it should be
quite useful. How conductive, I don't know.

This material is better known as "Stabilant 22" (often used as
"Stabilant 22A", diluted in alcohol). Years ago, Stabilant 22A was
remarketed to the audiophile community (in small syringes, probably
with a huge mark-up) under the name "Tweek".

I've used it for quite a few years. It definitely seems to help
maintain electrical connections between contacts. Quite useful for
(e.g.) finger contacts on PCI cards... it has restored reliable
operation for cards which were intermittent, when a simple "unplug,
clean, and re-plug" cycling didn't help.