Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

Default The cellphone paradox - where are all the accidents?

On 8/18/2015 10:32 PM, Ashton Crusher wrote:

Beyond that though I think there is a real difference between "using a
cell phone" as in placing or receiving a call and talking AND texting.
Texting simply takes too much mental processing for too long a time to
be safe. And I think some studies point to that difference. I used to
inspect roads and trying to write down on paper, which was similar to
texting, the info I was gathering as I drove down the road was just
way too distracting to be safe. But dictating it into a small
micro-recorder worked just fine and I could keep my eyes on the road
and immediately react if anything popped up. I'd play it back at the
office and make the notes.

I'v also tried writing notes for service calls, while
driving. I'm with you, writing takes a LOT of brain
RAM. I've not tried a small recorder, but that should
be considerable safer. I can drive and talk on a CB
or amateur radio and still be focussed on the road.

The one or two times I tried texting (many years ago)
I could feel the lack of concentration on my driving.

--
..
Christopher A. Young