Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
The Real Bev[_2_] The Real Bev[_2_] is offline

Default The cellphone paradox - where are all the accidents?

On 08/18/2015 09:32 PM, ceg wrote:
On Tue, 18 Aug 2015 20:32:14 -0700, The Real Bev wrote:

What would I use it for? I rately want to talk to people on the phone,

The drive to work is dead time. There's nothing *else* you can do.
You can't read the paper, for instance.
And catching up on the news only takes a few minutes of talk radio.
The traffic is better on the cellphone anyway, than from the radio.
And, your navigation needs aren't all that great on a commute.

So, what you do is "conduct business".

Many people conduct business on the phone.
So, that's what "I" do.

I'd much rather send email -- which I do from my computer because typing
on a real keyboard is just SOOOO much easier than bumbling along on the
phone's 'keyboard'.

I almost never use the phone's keyboard to type anything, since Android
has a decent speech-to-text translator. I wish I could get Android to
*default* to speech-to-text, because I find that I have to hit a tiny
microphone at the bottom of the keyboard in order to put it into
speech-to-text mode.

If I say 'OK Google' I can apparently get something Siri-like. I've
tried "Call Bob", and that indeed calls up the phone and Bob's number,
but I think I have to tap something at that point. I also said "Find
Costco" and ultimately google maps came up. I should really spend some
time playing with it...

There's a cd player in the car, on which I listen
to the radio or audiobooks on trips of half an hour or more -- I've been
working on a Tom Clancy for a couple of years now; you don't have to
remember the plot, you can just pick it up whenever it's handy It's
easier to use the Garmin GPS, especially since reading small print is a
real bitch and I mostly know where I want to go anyway.

I don't like audio books, but I can see that it's useful for whiling away
the time while commuting.

It has to be something that doesn't require too much attention, but it
has to be words. I like music, but I need words to avoid worrying about
****. When I was riding my motorcycle I spent the first half hour with
the words "...and then a wheel came off..." rolling around in my mind as
I kept trying to tell myself that YES I CHECKED THE WIRES ON THE NUTS
BEFORE WE LEFT...

So what DO you use yours for? Do you have that many people you want to
talk to? Scary...

I use the phone for business use. There are LOTS of people I need to talk
to because I am a program manager. I don't actually do anything; the people
I talk to do all the work. I just nag them to death on the phone.

I'm retired. Long ago (1994, maybe) I was driving my boss' car to a
customer's place on Mountain Street. Little did I know that there were
THREE Mountain Streets in the area. I used his car phone to call him
and chew him out for not telling me which one he meant. He was a really
good boss. Like my other really good boss, he quit 2 years after hiring
me because he had a really bad boss, who then became MY bad boss.

--
Cheers, Bev
"America is at an awkward stage: it is too late to work within the