Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default What is that whiteish stuff on bad batteries (ruins stuff)?

On Tue, 18 Aug 2015 16:58:50 -0700 (PDT), whit3rd
wrote:

On Tuesday, August 18, 2015 at 4:35:13 PM UTC-7, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Tue, 18 Aug 2015 12:01:51 -0700 (PDT), whit3rd
wrote:

On Tuesday, August 18, 2015 at 8:20:56 AM UTC-7, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Mon, 17 Aug 2015 15:56:53 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

Battery and ground contact areas eg terminals, clamps, frame connection areas are coated with a thin film of [silicone grease]

suggested that he grease his sheet metal pieces before spot welding
... the grease exploded in the spot welder

Yes, grease is good, but not in the current flow.

There's formulations of grease that don't do that, of course; silicone takes high
temperature, and some greases are intended for electrical conduction in thin
films (they 'break down' at millivolts, and don't even get hot).
http://store.caig.com/s.nl/sc.2/category.185/.f
I've used this grease on rotating connections, at 40A it's just like
a solid wire connection.

Looks like aluminum dust, copper dust, graphite, and/or quartz(???).

Can't be, it's transparent. It's based on a semiconductive component, which is nonlinear:
insulating in bulk, but breaks down (in conductivity, not chemical nature) in
thin films under electrical stress. US Patent #4696832 has more info.

Never heard of that stuff, but if it's as you describe, it should be
quite useful. How conductive, I don't know. The patent isn't very
helpful:
http://www.google.com/patents/US4696832
"The contact stabilization material comprises at least one
block polymer or co-polymer of polyoxypropylene together
with polyoxyethylene."
It then points to a French patent:
http://www.google.com/patents/EP0144399A1?cl=en
which has a better explanation. I'll RTFM over the weeken.

I got the Caig L260 and M260 info you linked came from:
http://store.caig.com/s.nl/sc.18/category.1049/.f
(Sorry I forgot to include the link. Kinda crazy today). Notice the
mention of metallic filler. Is Caig L260 and M260 the right grease or
should I be looking for something else?

One your rotating joint connection, did you use brushes or a
commutator to make the connection? If so, the path of least
resistance is through these connections, not through the grease.

It was bronze rubbing on a steel element; the grease keeps the steel from oxidizing
while increasing the effective contact area.

--
Jeff Liebermann

150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558