Posted to sci.electronics.repair
John-Del John-Del is offline

Default The cellphone paradox - where are all the accidents?

On Sunday, August 16, 2015 at 2:10:26 AM UTC-4, ceg wrote:
The cellphone paradox - where are all the accidents?

Where are all the accidents?

They don't seem to exist.
At least not in the United States.
Not by the federal government's own accident figures.

You conveniently left out some important facts.

"US Vehicle Miles Driven Have Sunk To A New Post-Crisis Low"

Read mo http://www.businessinsider.com/vehic...#ixzz3j78zIZGG

You also forgot to consider that cars stop faster than they used to, they turn better than they used to, they generally have better visibility as well as ABS, traction control, stability control, lane change warnings and even accident avoidance.

In most areas, three and four-way stop signs are now controlled by traffic signals, yield signs don't exist (stop signs or traffic lights) and even basic intersections that used to be governed by stop signs are now full traffic lights. It now takes me almost 8 minutes longer to get home from the same commute I've been doing for 20 years with no more traffic. I now build up some speed, and bam- right into another red light.

Most highways are being reconfigured to remove any left hand entrance or exit ramps.

If anything, traffic accidents should have plummeted over the last 10 years, and they haven't. The only new variable is cell phones. I personally got rear ended by an idiot who was driving with her eyes in her lap (saw her hit me). In my town (Wolcott, CT), a guy waiting in line at a traffic light on a motorcycle was stuffed into the car in front of him by a girl texting.. He lived three days. I've seen at least a half dozen near misses recently from people on cell phones.