Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
SeaNymph SeaNymph is offline

Default The cellphone paradox - where are all the accidents?

On 8/17/2015 12:52 PM, Muggles wrote:
On 8/17/2015 6:49 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 8/16/2015 11:03 PM, Muggles wrote:
On 8/16/2015 6:25 PM, ceg wrote:

But, then, how do we reconcile that observation with the fact that
(unnamed) "studies show" that cellphone use is "as distracting as
driving drunkly"?

What if the same character flaw exists in people that not only
contributes to them being drunk drives, but also contributes to being
more easily distracted while driving?

Ideally, people pay attention to the road. For me,
the reallity is that much of the time when I'm
driving, my mind is on other things.

One anecdotal experience, is when I got my first cell
phone. It was an early model, and set and cord, goes
to a bag with a cod and antenna. I had only been on
it for a couple minutes, and I was nearly in a wreck.
I'd not yet learned the skill of paying most attention
to the road, and less to the conversation. Since that
time, I've seldom talked on the phone while rolling.
But, I have developed more skill at paying attention
to the road.

I don't use the phone often while driving, and in the past had a blue
tooth earphone that would answer a call automatically, so everything was
hands free. Never had a problem with hands free and talking on the
phone that way. The next phone I got had an awkward blue tooth device
and I hated it, so chucked it and haven't used it. Rarely get a call
while driving, and usually ignore it when it rings. I can always call
them back. If I'm in stop and go traffic and at a stop light and it
rings, I may answer it and tell them I'll call them back.

Studies seem to indicate its the conversation, not the phone, that
creates the biggest distraction. IOW, hands free does not make the
conversation less distracting.