Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

Default The cellphone paradox - where are all the accidents?

On Sun, 16 Aug 2015 23:54:41 -0500, Muggles wrote:

I think some people are geared to naturally process multiple events at
the same time and do it w/o any issues at all. Then there are others
who can't walk and snap their fingers at the same time. The last group
of people shouldn't probably use a cell phone, talk to passengers, or
even play a radio while they drive.

Sorta. Different people can do varying number of things at the same
time. (For a few, that number is zero). When I'm talking on a ham
radio in the car, I can only do two things simultaneously. I
sometimes announce that:
"Talk, Think, Drive... pick any two"
I tend to favor Talk and Drive. The usual result is that thinking and
therefore the quality of my discourse suffer greatly. With a cell
phone conversation, I need to both talk and think, leaving driving as
the lesser priority. However, with ham radio, little or no thought is
involved because I mentally rehearse what I'm going to say in advance.

I've only seen someone do 3 things at once, once. I was once at a ham
convention and watched someone simultaneously copy high speed Morse
code in his head, engage in a PSK-31 keyboard to keyboard exchange,
and talk to me at the same time. I was impressed, but I must say that
he was also well practiced. I suppose if someone offered classes in
reactive driving responses while texting or talking, it might improve
the situation.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D