Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
ceg[_2_] ceg[_2_] is offline

Default The cellphone paradox - where are all the accidents?

On Sun, 16 Aug 2015 16:59:20 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Church street for one. It runs in back of my house. Young lady killed
when she went into a Ford F-150. Or don't you consider a death as an
accident?

Besides making the paradox even worse, the problem with anecdotes is that
they are not reliable statistics.

Anecdotes are cherry picked examples, which, of course, every politician knows
is a cheap way to get their mathematically challenged populace to believe
anything.

So, any and all anecdotal evidence that is not backed up by the reliable
statistics just makes the paradox far worse!

There was a Scientific American blog on Dr. Oz, regarding how he used the
cheap anecdotal trick to "prove" this or that, all the while simply
cherry picking unscientifically.

How Anecdotal Evidence Can Undermine Scientific Results
http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...tific-results/

Anyway, if we *accept* your anecdotal evidence as reliable, then that just
means that we're even *deeper into the paradox*, since the reliable statistics
don't even come close to supporting your anecdotal evidence.