Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

Default What is that whiteish stuff on bad batteries (ruins stuff)?

On 8/13/2015 3:42 PM, MNMikeW wrote:
What, chemically, is that whiteish crumbly powder on bad batteries?

We all have seen it, and most of the time you can just brush it off, but
I have it on a device deep inside that I can't get a brush on without
breaking stuff.

I'd like to use a solvent (I already tried water but I want to do a
better job) that dissolves the stuff so knowing the chemistry might help.

Do you have any idea what the chemical composition of that stuff is?

What kind of device that won't let you
get near it?

Caig DeOxit might help. I got some for
a 1/8 phono jack, and surprise surprise!
Seems to help a lot. Might help with
battery corrosion, also.

Ebay for about $15 shipped. Well worth it,
in my case.

--
..
Christopher A. Young