Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default Crown schematic, anyone ?

The customer said it had been in storage the past 2 years. He fired it up
today and it blew all the main fuses in his gaff.
So sounds like it may have been short like yours and Phil's, then blew
open.

Gareth.

Er, except customers tend to lie a lot.

He may have tried to boot several times with various size fuses/paper
clips etc.

Gareth.

That would be my feeling. It would seem that when these trannies fail on the
primary, they do it in style. The one in this 5000 is *so* short-circuit, it
blew the fuse in the mains lead plugtop, the fuse in the bench input lead
where it plugs into the heavy duty extension cable, and the fuse in the
extension plugtop. Oh yes, and it popped the breaker in the consumer unit as
well. I've had a few mains shorts over the years, but I can't remember one
that has ever taken out three mains fuses in series, *and* the breaker. Just
goes to show how slow the breaker is though, compared to the cartridge fuses
in the plugs. But then I suppose it is over twice their rating, at 30 amps

Arfa