Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Crown schematic, anyone ?

Arfa Daily wrote:

** Just as I suspected, those NRE toroidals are time bombs.

It's inside a piece of heatshrink sleeve bigger than I've got to replace it
with, but on the blown out one, you can still read "4R7" so I guess 4.7 ohms
which would be about right. Assuming that they have it done, I suppose I
will have to get a length of suitable heatshrink in so that it's restored to
the insulation levels that it came out of the factory with.

** The shrink cover is there to retain bits if the PTC explodes and nearby wiring away when it "trips" - cos its gets so damn hot.

Be far better to slip a piece of silicone tube over the thing, as is often done with NTCs.

I was able to
just about get my meter across the bridges after the tranny wires had been
pulled, just to make sure that there were no issues with them or anything
south of them, but all looks ok, so I think that it is just the tranny
primary short circuit for no good reason other than it felt like it ...

** You gotta hope the new one does not get that same feeling, or the other one in the amp.

For my XLS602, I used a "pre-loved" toroidal tranny that was on hand, with a similar main secondary winding and added a small 18-0-18 E-core for the low voltages.

Might be smart to get a quote for a replacement tranny made to suit that Crown.

.... Phil