Posted to sci.electronics.repair
amdx[_3_] amdx[_3_] is offline

Default DIODE confusion

On 8/8/2015 8:06 PM, wrote:
right...well written.

It seems to
me you are trying to piggy back on a existing circuit via
a relay contact but you don't want the control signal to
get crossed over ?

correct. My DIY alarm system is grafted onto a factory system, an Omega, with diodes. If it doesn't work throw diodes at it.

The de riguer roof mounted desert driving lights ground thru 5 relays into a dimmer switch on the way to the brake from throttle. Was interesting testing that seeing it gradually not work from relay to relay.

searching thru schematics in Google Images I found diodes for multiple triggers. Now how would I know what a trigger is ...?

EHHEEYAYYAY it works !.

Here, I wired into a morass then tried finding an explanation for the problem running into 'switch to ground', what seems a backwards English description of ? and other confusion.

English EEE is difficult and examples are herein.

The system is in a van. In the beginning wire 2 sizes larger than factory eg Hella wires seemed adequate then Liebermann suggested Powerstream for a kayak inverter. Once there I found the wire size calculator then Hella's point that a small voltage drop from 12V looses 30% of the light source.

The alarm sirens and horn are powered now.

Relays work with 8 and 10 Ga using the smaller wire for a signal.

If by signal you mean the wire that energizes the coil, it can be a
lot smaller than 10ga. The coil may draw something like 120ma, so the
wire diameter can be small.

There are two ways to power a relay.
1) You connect one side of the coil to ground and then switch +12V to
the other side.
2) You connect one side of the coil to +12V then switch the other side
to ground.
A diode will allow current to flow if the voltage is higher on the
anode than on the cathode. Current will not flow if the voltage is
higher on the cathode than on the anode.

Has your original question been answered?

If you want an answer you need to ask one question and give enough
details so we know what you are trying to do.

Mikek

---