Posted to sci.electronics.repair
M Philbrook M Philbrook is offline

Default DIODE confusion

In article ,
says...

oh sure but the question was is the statement abt diode position visavee 12V and ground valid ? as a rule ?

I see the problem in my wiring that is all relay direct power switching is done on the ground side of the load. Optimism !

http://www.caraudiohelp.com/images/relay_for_remote.gif

big deal.

if I wanted to isolate this relays ground from the other grounds on the local ground bolt, I would wire in a diode with

the stripe facing the relay

or the stripe facing away from the relay ?

I am not exactly sure what you are doing but, It seems to
me you are trying to piggy back on a existing circuit via
a relay contact but you don't want the control signal to
get crossed over ?

For diodes. the line side of the DIODE (K) is the side that
will block (+) volts and the non-line(A) will block (-) volts, so
no current will flow.

This means if you were to place a diode (K) to the (+) side
and (A) to the (-) side of a battery, no current will flow through
the diode.

btw, the relay you pointed to uses automobile number codes, this
generally means there is a code number that specifies a function
of that wire.. Funciton, not an ID of the wire..norminal number
per function. Not to get confused with cardinal or ordinal number
types.

The numbers you see printed beside the stabs on the relay indicate
the use. This does not mean you have to follow that.