Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Clogged laptop heat pipe and fan

Jeff Liebermann wrote:

HP Envy m6 laptop (with AMD A10 processor), which arrive with a bad
case of overheating. Here's what the radiator grill looked like after
I tore apart the laptop to clean out the filth:
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/pics/rep...ogged_fan.html
That's about 50% clogged. It took about 45 mins to overheat and shut
down in self defense. The owner didn't really notice that there was
an overheating problem, but did notice that the machine seemed to run
slower when hot. I certainly noticed when I tried to do an image
backup for 100 GBytes of kids games and found that it overheated and
shut down in the middle of the backup (3 times). Note that the
picture was AFTER I had hit the fan with my 60 psi air hose from every
conceivable angle to try and clear out the crud. No luck.

Here's what I had to do to the laptop to clean it out:
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/pics/rep...A10%20CPU.html
General lack of easy maintenance features is one reason I don't like
HP products.

The real problem is the mechanical design. The grill on the heat pipe
is made for maximum cooling, not minimum filth accumulation. I did an
experiment once with some dog hair clippings (don't ask) to see what

ha, nice test.

I recall an old stale cigar being used to test airflow though audio amps
at one shop.