Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Crown schematic, anyone ?

Arfa Daily wrote:

I just loved
the character Arthur Daley for the wicked sense of comic timing and the
malapropism he employed.

** Like: " The world is your lobster... "

Unfortunately, it's not an easy task to get to the secondary side of the
PSU, as it's one of those two-board constructions, where one power amp is
stacked on top of the other, and all of the bridges and filter caps for both
amps are, needless-to-say, on the bottom board where you can't get to
anything.

* You could snip the leads for the main secondary ( leaving the CT) and join them again if the tranny proves OK.

Before going to all of the trouble to get the top board out to see if I can
unplug the tranny secondaries, I'm waiting on the shop getting in touch with
the owner to give him an estimate of what it might cost, depending on what I
find. I'm not sure what the spares position for Crown stuff is like here in
the UK, if it needed a tranny ...

** Out of curiosity, I stripped down the tranny from that XLS602. Internal shorts in large toroidals are very rare, especially with no other fault.

The whole thing was rough as guts, with a wound core made from dozens of off- cuts of steel strip tacked welded together and bits of cloth tape covering the edges. Normal toroidal cores are precison made and have moulded plastic covers covering all sharp edges, where the primary is wound.

The twin 120/240 primary was bi-filar wound placing 120VAC between every adjacent turn, a dodgy practice at best and fatal if the enamel coating ever gets damaged.

.... Phil