Posted to sci.electronics.repair
amdx[_3_] amdx[_3_] is offline

Default DIODE confusion

On 8/7/2015 7:57 AM, wrote:
On Thursday, August 6, 2015 at 10:41:36 AM UTC-4, wrote:
http://ecetutorials.com/wp-content/u...ode-symbol.jpg

I'm reading isolating 12V fields with a diode places the band toward ground

but isolating ground leads past a power drop device from 12V isolates with band toward the device away from ground.

is this true or false ? exceptions ?

wiring relays in a vehicle alarm circuit, I was isolating flow with open diode end always facing the 12V supply wether diode was before a sensor or horn or after on the ground side.

then I read that ground side diodes are wired with the diode open side facing the ground with the band facing the sensor or horn ...

?

Still don't have enough info. There are two possible uses that I see
from the limited info.
The diode could be used to protect the relay driver from the voltage
spike generated when you remove current from the relay coil.
In that case the diode is across the relay, reverse biased when the
diode is energized.
I can't think why, but you could be using diodes to steer current, so
that, if this is on, that is not on, or some such thing. That you just
need to figure out.
A schematic of your circuit would provide you with an answer.
Mikek

---