Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Diode On Small dc Toy Motor: Why ?

Bob wrote:

Trying to fix kids toy.

Very simple electrically, just a battery going to one of those
small, cheap, probably a PM type, dc motor that does nothing but spin a
pointer.

** I guess the " pointer" does not spin at the same rpm as the motor, cos there is a gearbox ?

For some reason, they have a diode in one of the leads to the motor.

** You are sure it is a diode because ?

The Diode must be defective, for if I by-pass it, the motor spins just fine.

** What if you reverse the cell in the holder ?

Anyone have any thoughts perhaps as to for what purpose the diode
was included ?

** I have a possible theory in mind, but you need to describe the gadget a lot better.

.... Phil