Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Cursitor Doom[_4_] Cursitor Doom[_4_] is offline

Default Measuring audio amp output power

On Sun, 02 Aug 2015 13:29:38 +0000, Cursitor Doom wrote:

On Sun, 02 Aug 2015 09:04:54 -0400, Phil Hobbs wrote:

RMS is an amplitude, e.g. 'volts RMS'.

Yes, I recall 0.707 of the peak signal level. So for example if I set an
amp to some arbitrary output and feed into an 8 ohm load and measure say
10V peak-to-peak on a scope, then I'm getting about 6.25W RMS out.

Phil's right that the term is in
error, but there's so many lies and so much snake oil in the audio
business that this minor absurdity seems a fairly small price to pay to
clear away all the "peak intermittent music power" (PIMP) nonsense.

Fully agree with you on that!

Should have put the 6.25W RMS in inverted commas, since there's no such
thing as RMS power, of course. It's really all about *average* power.