Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Sjouke Burry[_2_] Sjouke Burry[_2_] is offline

Default Tropical Fish

On 01.08.15 20:34, Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Sat, 01 Aug 2015 09:47:48 -0700, John Robertson wrote:

On 08/01/2015 9:18 AM, MJC wrote:
In article , says...

Does anyone know how tolerant these are to over-voltage? For example,
would one rated at 250V be able to handle 260V - 265V for a minute or
so?

thanks.

Electric eel?

Mike.

All my fish preferred 0V...otherwise it was just a tank full of
floaters.

John ;-#)#

Oh yes, jolly amusing.
I was of course talking about TF capacitors. I think I may have fried one
accidentally by careless use of a variac. Something on the board I was
testing made a muffled sizzling sound for several seconds and I'm trying
to establish what I damaged. There are no visual signs of damage and I
didn't see any smoke at the time; just heard that noise.

That was an electrolytic cap, boiling off the liquid inside.