Posted to sci.electronics.repair
John Robertson John Robertson is offline

Default Solid State relay kills induction motor fans

On 07/31/2015 7:42 PM, Phil Allison wrote:
M Philbrook wrote:

" The motor still spins easily. There is no DC continuity from the power plug but I beleive this is normal for induction motors?"

The OP has no so far bothered to open a fan a check the motor wiring for
continuity.

Yes he did, There is no continuity..

** ".. from the power plug ... ".

Box fans typically have timers, 3 way speed controls and tilt switches, any of which could be the real problem.

Which means it's been operating hot!

** Not likely with perfectly free bearing and no damage.

..... Phil

Hi Phil,

I don't think anyone read my quote (July 29) from a SSR (Omron)
manufacturers' FAQ PDF about using non-motor rated SSRs with induction
motors. As they said, as long as the SSR has sufficient rating to handle
the start up current (etc.) there will be no problems for the SSR.

The only thing folks haven't considered is a voltage surge - that could
take out the fan without harming the SSR. The wiring may have problems
where the neutral fails in a sub-box leading to 240VAC going to a motor
designed for 120 - the motor would not last long, yet wouldn't give
obvious signs of failure as the internal overheat fuse would open
quickly...

I have no other ideas unless he isn't giving the house elves enough food
and clothing.

John :-#(#

www.flippers.com