Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Pat[_9_] Pat[_9_] is offline

Default Solid State relay kills induction motor fans

On Wed, 29 Jul 2015 19:32:06 +0100, MJC
wrote:

In article ,
says...

On Wed, 29 Jul 2015 08:12:51 -0700 (PDT), Deane Williams
wrote:
You have an interesting problem. I hope you figure it out. I have
never used SS relays, but I can't image they cause spikes and other
anomolies that would kill a simple AC motor. Is the relay rated for
inductive loads?

I can't be bothered to study SSRs so I just speculate... Could it be
that the ones you use just deliver one polarity of AC instead of both,
like a rectifier? Resulting in a DC component which the fans do not
like...

Mike.

That's an interesting thought. Even if most SSRs handle full AC,
maybe this particular one is faulty and only passes one polarity. That
would certainly make the fan motor unhappy.

Pat