Posted to sci.electronics.repair
MJC MJC is offline

Default Solid State relay kills induction motor fans

In article ,
says...

On Wed, 29 Jul 2015 08:12:51 -0700 (PDT), Deane Williams
wrote:
You have an interesting problem. I hope you figure it out. I have
never used SS relays, but I can't image they cause spikes and other
anomolies that would kill a simple AC motor. Is the relay rated for
inductive loads?

I can't be bothered to study SSRs so I just speculate... Could it be
that the ones you use just deliver one polarity of AC instead of both,
like a rectifier? Resulting in a DC component which the fans do not
like...

Mike.