Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default Measuring audio amp output power

"Phil Allison" wrote in message
Ralph Mowery wrote:

Is that inductiveness seriously likely to be a problem at audio
frequencies?

I just did a quick check with a 10 ohm 60 watt wire wound resistor and a
couple of other low value resistors.
Used a 100 MHz scope, function generator and Fluke 87 meter.

From low audio up to 20,000 Hz and a sine wave with the 10 ohm WW there
did
not appear to be any noticable difference.

** And this is a sufficient test for the purpose.

When I switched to a square wave

** Which has harmonics into the medium and HF bands.

I noticed a large spike on the leading and trailing edges, especially as
went higher up in frequency.

** All due to the harmonics way above audio range.

From this rough test, I would say that if using sine waves you could get
close to true test, but if music

** Music signals stop at 20kHz.

or other odd ball waveforms

** An audio amplifier reproducing a square wave will not pass harmonics
much above 50kHz top the load - so you are wrong again.

Do try and keep up. This is about the output of the amplifier. It does not
mater what the amp is going to pass.

From a quick test with a couple of wire wound resistors an audio frequency
square wave was producing a spike on the leading and trailing edges of the
ww resistor. It did not do that with a carbon resistor.