Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Deane Williams Deane Williams is offline

Default Solid State relay kills induction motor fans

I set up a thermostat in my garage that comes on at 80 degrees F. and sends a 6 VDC battery voltage to control a 120 VAC solid state relay which powers up the vent fan. The fans always quit within 2 months to a year with no obvious defects. These are inexpensive 20 inch box fans with induction motors. I have tried several brands and styles of fans. The latest was a Home Depot unit that only lasted 2 months.
Does anyone know of a reason why I can't run an induction motor from a SS relay? What is killing the fans? I have taken two apart and there is no smoke smell, no visible damage and if there is a capacitor it tests OK.
Thanks for any ideas. I am going to switch over to a mechanical relay.

Dean